Friday, April 22, 2011

22 April - Field (art) Reflection

I had an amazing time during my 3 week field experience in the 4th grade at Ridgeline Elementary. My field partner was Jessica Rose. We worked very well together. Prior to beginning our 3 weeks we had the opportunity to play get to know you games with the 4th grade students and meet our cooperating teacher, Mrs. Patti Ratliff. We did this activity the first day in art class. We sat in a circle and stated our name, an emotion, and a gesture with our hands. It took a lot longer with 4th graders than college students, but did help us learn their names!

From the first time I entered Ridgeline I was astounded by the cleanliness, friendliness and the feel of learning taking place in the atmosphere. When we entered the classroom Mrs. Ratliff put us to work right away. Her interest was for us to interact with the students as much as possible. We observed her teaching math, language arts, and science. Jessica and I would take turns reading The Candy Shoppe Wars after lunch each day. Mrs. Ratliff supplied the special reading hat, such a cute idea I’ll be implementing in my classroom.

I enjoyed my time spent in the 4th grade with Patti Ratliff. It is no secret that she loves to teach. She was a great example to me in how to teach with enthusiasm, making it fun with songs (she had many on math, Utah, rock cycle, classical, upbeat), and building students up constantly. We loved it so much we often stayed more than our required time.

The lessons we taught were on supply and demand, producers and consumers, and about Utah’s economy. We made them fun, engaging, the students listened, participated, and stayed in control most of the time! The lesson we had our career interviews in was cut short so they only had about 5 minutes. It would have been better if I'd printed interview questions to ask instead of writing them on the board. Our lesson with visual art was successful although it was quite noisy. It was the Friday before Spring Break and the kids were quite distracted. We should've explained our expectations on the noise level. Most of the students did their best on their brochures, with a few that didn't try stating they weren't good at art.

I can understand how teachers get attached to their students. You want them to do great, you want them to succeed, and you want the best for every aspect of their lives. In the short 3 weeks we were there, I experienced these feelings toward the students. After being in the school atmosphere and experiencing teaching, I know I was meant to be a teacher. There is nothing I desire more in life than to make a positive difference in children. I am excited to gain more knowledge and master techniques to become the best teacher I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment